Friday, June 1, 2012

Spinach Fritters

A writer has to be healthy, right? Well, I don't know about you but spinach isn't one of my favourite vitamin-packed foods. So I was pleasantly surprised when I tried this recipe - and actually liked it! It's slightly spicy (but not overly-so) and makes a fairly easy side-dish. I have my own small twist on the recipe.

Lentil Spinach Fritters

3/4 of a cup cooked lentils - drained (You can use a can of lentils if you want to make things easier)
3 1/2 cups spinach - chopped
3 Tablespoons water
2 Tablespoons green onions
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 Tablespoon cilantro - chopped
3 Tablespoons Flour (or more)
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 garlic clove

Directions below.


1st you want to process the lentils in a food processor with about 3 tablespoons of water. I don't have one so I use a blender.

Chop the spinach into small bits and add it to the lentils.

 Next, add the  green onions, cilantro and other ingredients.
Now, this is where I add my own twist. In the original recipe you do not process the other ingredients, you just mix them with the lentils. I, however, found that the fritters did not cook as well when that was done. You can just mix the other ingredients in if you like but I prefer to blend them so the batter looks like this:
 Add extra flour or water until you are satisfied with the batter's consistency.
Next, add oil to a heated pan and fry the batter like pancakes until they are light brown.
I am sorry that this picture is so low quality, it makes the fritter look burnt, but it is actually dark green.
Serve them warm with sour cream. 
Enjoy!
If you opt for the un-processed spinach it'll look like this:


1 comment:

  1. They were delicious, My Sweetie, when you had me over for a meal. I like trying new things and they were good. I do like spinach so your not-too-crazy-about spinach must be from your father's side. Just saying... love Mama xoxox

    ReplyDelete